known as Ile aux Fouquets, Ile Phare was amongst the first ones
to be discovered in 1598 by the Dutch settlers.
L'Ile Phare bears its name by virtue of a lighthouse
built in 1864, which was still operational until beginning of the
Historically, Ile au Phare, situated within the
bay of Mahébourg has fulfilled a
strategic purpose during the naval battles at Grand Port.